Note from the editor
Two communities of concern to Industrial Engineering held their annual conferences in South Africa recently:
- the 28th annual conference of the SAIIE (SAIIE28) (25-27 Oct 2017),
- the 18th annual international conference of the Rapid Product Development Association of South Africa (RAPDASA) (8-10 November 2017).
To promote the high quality of work delivered to these conferences and to encourage authors to present some of their best research, we introduced a Special Edition of the journal in 2016 in which the best research presented at the abovementioned conferences would be published.
The same double blind peer review process and criteria used for the journal were also used in this selection process, and the feedback from all reviewers was used to score submissions to create a shortlist. Each submission on the shortlist then underwent an additional round of review, where a senior peer reviewer confirmed the selection, and the editor of the journal confirmed the suitability.
As a consequence, this special edition has a total of 17 articles:
- twelve originated from SAIIE28 out of a total of 66 submissions on the program, and
- RAPDASA, five articles were selected out of 33 full papers.
The special edition is a recipe that is working well, in that it lifts the standard of submissions at the conferences, and it creates an opportunity for young authors to have their quality work rewarded - we are thus pleased that this recipe again ended with “a good meal” and will hopefully continue to do so in years to follow!
LicenseAuthors who publish in the Journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the Journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this Journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the Journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this Journal.